Washington, D.C.’s Knickerbocker Theatre’s roof collapsed under the weight of snow today in 1922 killing 98 and injuring 133 patrons. Now WE know em

The Knickerbocker Theatre in October, 1917

The Knickerbocker Theatre in October, 1917

The Washington, D.C. Knickerbocker Theatre was a movie theater located at 18th Street and Columbia Road in the Adams Morgan neighborhood.

After a two-day blizzard, the Knickerbocker Theatre collapsed on January 28, 1922 under the weight of snow hat was later dubbed the Knickerbocker Storm.

The theater was showing Get-Rich-Quick Wallingford at the time of the collapse, which killed 98 patrons and injured 133 more.

News reports estimated that between 300 and 1,000 people were in the theater that evening.

The roof of the theater collapsed suddenly with no warning just after 9:00 pm. onto the concrete balcony, and then onto the orchestra seating area.


Interior of Knickerbocker Theatre, Washington, DC, following roof collapse on January 28, 1922

Interior of Knickerbocker Theatre, Washington, DC, following roof collapse on January 28, 1922

In the moments after the collapse, a witness called a telephone operator, who spread the alarm to police, firefighters, and hospitals. She also phoned the city government, which ordered the immediate closure of all theaters in the city to prevent loss of life from any further collapses.

People nearby rushed to help, although their efforts were disorganized until the arrival of more than 600 soldiers and marines.

It took time for authorities to gain control of the scene as relatives of people in the theater tried to gain entry.

Authorities also experienced delays in getting fire engines and other equipment to the scene as the streets of the city were nearly impassable in places due to snow and vehicles that had become stuck during the blizzard.

However, a fleet of ambulances from Walter Reed Army Medical Center and volunteer taxis were able to reach the scene and evacuate some of the injured to hospitals.

Even with large numbers of police, firemen, and military personnel, by 2:30 the next day the rescuers had still not been able to remove debris from the balcony and reach those who had been seated in the orchestra. While they worked, a young boy crawled through the rubble and delivered water to the victims to keep them alive.

Neighboring houses and stores were used temporarily to give medical treatment to victims of the collapse, and a nearby Christian Science Church was used as a morgue.

The disaster ranks as one of the worst in Washington. D.C. history.


Photo courtesy Library of Congress

Photo courtesy Library of Congress

Among the victims was former Pennsylvania congressman Andrew Jackson Barchfeld, and other politicians, members of the diplomatic corps, and businessmen.

Many media reports focused on less famous but more tragic figures, such as a violinist in the theater’s orchestra who had been married five days previously and a honeymooning couple who were attending the movie that night. Another report mentioned a young boy who was brought to the temporary morgue to identify the bodies of both of his parents and his two sisters.

A number of investigations were conducted into the causes of the collapse by the Washington, DC city government, both houses of congress, the city coroner, and the courts.

Early witness accounts suggested that theater employees had discussed removing the snow from the roof, but had decided that it was unnecessary.

The investigations concluded that the collapse was most likely the result of faulty design, blaming the use of arch girders rather than stone pillars to support the roof. However, a number of lawsuits that resulted from the collapse were unsuccessful, as courts were unable to determine who was liable.

The year after the collapse, a new theater was built in the same location, dubbed the Ambassador Theater.

This would in turn be torn down during a 1960s era urban renewal project, and the site is now the location of a bank.

Both the architect who designed the theater, Reginald Geare, and its owner, Harry Crandall, later committed suicide.

Geare, whose career had been effectively ended by the collapse, took his life in 1927. Crandall took his life ten years later, leaving a note for reporters asking them not to be too hard on him.

Now WE know em



Please Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s