Manolis Andronikos was born October 23, 1919 in Bursa, Turkey.
His father soon moved to Thessaloniki, the second-largest city in Greece and the ancient capital of Macedonia.
He went on to study philosophy at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki before eventually teaching Classical Archeology at the University in 1952.
In 1954, he continued his studies at Oxford University before returning once more to Aristotle University in 1957 and becoming professor of Archeology in 1964.
He then began archaeological research in various locations, but his main research focused on Vergina, a small town in northern Greece.
Aristotle University under the leadership of professor K. Rhomaios had began excavation at Vergina in 1937.
Around 650 BC, Perdiccas established the Kingdom of Macedon along with his capital city of Aegae.
Aegae is thought to mean “city of goats” after Perdiccas was advised to build his capital where the goats led him.
Archaeologists had been searching for Aegae since the early 1850’s when they discovered burial mounds in the hills around two small agricultural villages.
Excavations began in 1861 sponsored by French Emperor Napoleon III.
As a result of this interest, the modern town of Vergina was founded in 1922.
An ancient palace was discovered in 1937, however excavations were put on hold with the outbreak of World War II.
After the war the excavations resumed and dated to the reign of Philip II.
Philip II of Macedon was famous in antiquity as the father of Alexander the Great.
During the 1960’s, the rest of the ancient capital was uncovered including the theatre in which Philip II was murdered.
Then, after Manolis Andronikos began excavating the area, he became convinced that a hill called the Great Tumulus concealed tombs of Macedonian kings.
Then in 1977, Manolis Andronikos undertook a six-week archaeological dig.
On November 8, 1977, he found four burial chambers including the tomb of Philip II, father of Alexander the Great. Two of the tombs were found to have been sacked.
The tomb of Philip II had two rooms. The main room included a marble sarcophagus with a larnax made of 24 carat gold weighing 11 kilograms.
On the remains of Philip II was a golden wreath of 313 oak leaves and 68 acorns weighing 717 grams.
In the other antechamber room, there was another sarcophagus containing the remains of a woman wrapped in a golden-purple cloth with a golden diadem decorated with flowers and enamel.
In 1978, the other undisturbed tomb was discovered to belong to Alexander IV, son of Alexander the Great.
The artifacts from this tomb were later included in the traveling exhibit “The Search for Alexander” displayed at four cities in the United States from 1980 to 1982.
While this discovery is of great archaeological importance, the identification of the tomb with Philip II has been disputed by some archaeologists; that said, if the tomb is not Philip’s, one of the others in the same complex probably is.
Manolis Andronikos lived permanently in Thessaloniki on Papafi Street and died on March 30, 1992.
Great Tumulus Museum
In 1993, the Great Tumulus Museum was built to protect the tombs and exhibit the artifacts.
Now WE know em